This is my list of applications I can’t live without, following [Ronny’s entry of the same topic](http://ronny.haryan.to/archives/2004/10/29/list-apps-i-cant-live-without/).
* Email client: [KMail](http://kmail.kde.org/), a full featured and very stable mail client for [KDE](http://www.kde.org).
* Web browser: [KDE’s Konqueror](http://www.konqueror.org/) under Linux, or [Mozilla Firefox](http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) under Windows. Konqueror is a lean and mean web browser. I think I don’t have much choice in Windows, IE is out of question.
* Instant messaging: [Gaim](http://gaim.sourceforge.net), it’s one stop shopping for my instant messaging needs.
* Terminal emulation: [Konsole](http://konsole.kde.org/), nothing comes close in terminal emulation arena. The best thing about it is that Konsole is [scriptable](https://priyadi.net/archives/2004/09/08/simple-dcop-shell-script-for-konsole-to-open-multiple-sessions/). It lessens my work considerably.
* Movie player: [Mplayer](http://www.mplayerhq.hu), it plays just about anything.
* Music player: [juK](http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/juk.html), a versatile music player that doesn’t get in your way.
* Shell scripting: [bash](http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/bash.html), an excellent shell. I use it for both interactive and non-interactive uses. Very useful to quickly get the computer to do grunt work for me.
* Image editor: [Gimp](http://www.gimp.org), a full fledged image editor. But if all I need is to resize images quickly, [ImageMagick](http://www.imagemagick.org) fits the bill.
* Text editor: [Vim](http://www.vim.org). “Using Vim is not a sin”™.