My [Gentoo](http://www.gentoo.org) system is getting rusty (by Gentoo’s standards, at least). It’s now time to upgrade! Because of the new KDE 3.4, this is probably my first major upgrade I’ve done using a puny GPRS connection.
At first, I thought this is the right time to try the new [KDE split ebuilds](http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/kde-split-ebuilds.html), but I decide not to further waste my time :). The split ebuilds is too new, and the ‘monolithic’ build is still well supported. Maybe later.
Emerge sync took about half an hour. Then I unmasked the KDE ebuilds in `/etc/portage/packages.keywords`. Yes yes, I should have waited until they get unmasked, but as usual, I was too eager too try the new KDE. From `emerge -Dupv world`: Total size of downloads: 278,940 kB. Whoa! This gonna take a few days to say the least.
OK, then I did several `emerge -Duf world` runs everytime I got a chance until all files get downloaded. It took a bit more than two days. The culprit, as usual, was JDK that required me to download it manually :(. Thankfully, the new portage didn’t block when encountering packages that needed to be downloaded manually.
Lastly, `emerge -Du world` took less than 24 hours with a few roadblocks. First, I needed to to make symlink from 3.4.3-20050110 to 3.4.3 inside /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu, or else the compiler won’t be able to find the required libraries (probably a bug in GCC). Second, avifile refused to compile with this version of GCC :(, unmasking the latest version solved the problem.
Now I have the shiny [KDE 3.4](http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.4.php) at my disposal :).
Total time taken: a bit more than three days. Three days seems a lot for an upgrade, but it is still a lot better than upgrading the entire system every six months or so :). Not to mention that I’m doing this on my GPRS connection :).