This is my list of applications I can’t live without, following Ronny’s entry of the same topic.
- Email client: KMail, a full featured and very stable mail client for KDE.
- Web browser: KDE’s Konqueror under Linux, or Mozilla Firefox under Windows. Konqueror is a lean and mean web browser. I think I don’t have much choice in Windows, IE is out of question.
- Instant messaging: Gaim, it’s one stop shopping for my instant messaging needs.
- Terminal emulation: Konsole, nothing comes close in terminal emulation arena. The best thing about it is that Konsole is scriptable. It lessens my work considerably.
- Movie player: Mplayer, it plays just about anything.
- Music player: juK, a versatile music player that doesn’t get in your way.
- Shell scripting: bash, an excellent shell. I use it for both interactive and non-interactive uses. Very useful to quickly get the computer to do grunt work for me.
- Image editor: Gimp, a full fledged image editor. But if all I need is to resize images quickly, ImageMagick fits the bill.
- Text editor: Vim. “Using Vim is not a sin”™.